Grass-fed butter vs regular butter: which is better for ghee making?
Grass-fed butter vs regular butter is an everyday shoppers’ concern because both are butter in category, milk-made, perishable, and used for ghee raw materials. But there is a marked difference between both kinds of butter, and that difference lies in the dairy cattle grooming.
When we get butter labelled as grass-fed butter, it means the dairy cattle’s diet is strictly grass-based.
Grass-fed cow and sheep are maintained in mostly organic farming where cows and sheep are allowed to graze on the open pastures almost round the year.
These cows and sheep are permitted to lead their everyday lives. According to dairy experts, they are found stress-free and healthy, and they produce more nutritious milk than grain-fed cows and sheep.
Regular butter is made from the yield (milk) of conventional dairy farms where cows are mostly kept indoors, and they are fed with grains and grass mixed fodders.
These cows are treated with hormonal medicines and injections and often administered with antibiotics.
The milk quality of these conventional dairy farms is compromised in quality and nutritional potency compared to grass-fed cow milk. Regular butter is also called gain-fed butter: it is available in both salted and unsalted varieties.
Grass-fed butter nutrition: how is it superior to regular butter?
Both grass-fed butter and regular butter are milk products and contain almost the same nutrients. But grass-fed milk contains more quantity of nutrients than grain-fed dairy.
- Grass-fed milk contains at least 5 times more Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) than grain-fed dairy of the same quantity.
- Grass-fed milk holds more heart-friendly Omega Fatty Acids (3, 6, and 9) than grain-fed cow milk. For a similar reason, grass-fed butter contains more Omega-3 and 6 fatty acid ratio, which is good for the heart and better for the brain, eye, lung, etc.
- According to a study recently held on grass-fed clarified butter nutrition, enhanced omega -3 acids help in preventing heart diseases and some cancerous conditions. However, it may need further research to prove it hypothetically.
- Also, grass-fed butter holds more butyrate than non-grass-fed milk. More butyrate of grass-fed buyers ensures a higher amount of butyrate and colon friendliness after consumption.
- Another study, circulated in July 2015 in the “European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology,” states that grass-fed butter contains a lesser amount of saturated fat and more quantity of polyunsaturated fat than regular butter or grain-fed butter.
- As says the American Heart Association (AHA), these features are usually a bonus to a healthy heart.
These 5 points of differences in grass-fed butter nutrition prove that grass-fed butter is a premium dairy product than regular butter.
Grass-fed cows are not treated with antibiotics, growth hormone-based medicines, or steroids. Grass-fed ghee is mostly a Non-GMO product, no matter it is officially certified or not. Organic dairy farming is related to animal welfare and hygienic preparation of the dairy product, whereas, in regular butter preparation, these intricacies are hardly maintained.
Also, the colour, texture, and aroma of grass-fed butter are always superior to regular butter; consumer choice is mostly to go for grass-fed butter for the better scale of heal benefits.
Therefore, regular butter preparation is not that organized and quality assured, and that impacts produced ghee using regular butter.
Grass-fed butter vs clarified butter: which one is a better food option?
When it is a proven fact between grass-fed butter and regular butter, grass-fed butter is a better dietary option for its fat profile, nutritional profile, and better traceability.
Consumers may wonder how grass-fed butter is related to clarified butter, and between grass-fed butter and grass-fed ghee clarified butter, which one is better butter.
Both grass-fed clarified butter and grass-fed butter are dairy cooking oils, holding almost the same nutrients.
Although grass-fed clarified butter is cooked by boiling grass-fed butter, there is some marked difference between dairy products.
Grass-fed clarified butter is a safer oil.
Grass-fed clarified or ghee offers a higher smoke point than grass-fed butter. Glass-fed clarified butter offers a 482° Fahrenheit smoking point, while grass-fed butter offers a 350° Fahrenheit smoking point.
The difference between smoking points clearly declares the superiority of grass-fed clarified butter over grass-fed butter in safer oil for cooking.
Grass-fed clarified butter is free from the risk of a dairy allergy.
Grass-fed clarified butter is lactose and casein-free dairy. When boiling grass-fed butter, milk solids like lactose and casein get eliminated, and we get the pure butterfat in the crockpot.
A lactose intolerant person may get struck with dairy sensitivity with grass-fed butter in the diet. Still, with grass-fed clarified butter, he is out of the thereat zone of dairy sensitivity.
Grass-fed butter is not as versatile as grass-fed clarified butter
You can use grass-fed clarified butter in all types of high-temperature cooking like baking, sautéing, deep-frying, etc. You can use ghee in all butter recipes instead of butter. Whether you are cooking a simple dish or enjoying gourmet cooking, grass-fed is a better option.
But you can use butter mostly for sweet dishes cooking and baking. Butter cannot be used as a ghee substitute. The aroma of grass-fed butter and grass-fed clarified butter is different.
Grass-fed clarified butter offers longer shelf-life
Grass-fed clarified there is a shelf-stable dairy product, and you can store it in your home for 12-18 months from the date of manufacturing. But even the most delicate quality grass-fed butter is not shelf-stable, and you need to arrange the support of refrigeration to store this delicacy.
You can buy clarified butter in bulk, but you should maintain restraining with grass-fed butter because you cannot preserve it without refrigeration support.
Butyrate support of ghee clarified butter
Both ghee and butter contain butyrate, but it gets highly fulfilled with grass-fed ghee. As a result, ghee contributes to a healthy diet if you add the cooking oil to your recipe. The butyrate content of grass-fed ghee is higher than grass-fed butter, making ghee a better laxative.
The butyrate content of clarified butter is a sure shot of this dairy fat. Still, grass-fed butter does not have its butyrate advantage.
These are the details about Grass-fed butter vs regular butter.
As the raw ingredients for good quality ghee, grass-fed butter’s purity and superiority are all-time higher than regular or grain-fed butter.
Due to higher nutritional benefits, grass-fed butter made grass-fed clarified butter is counted as a premium quality clarified butter that is capable of offering you some services like
- Helping in quick digestion
- Supporting in weight loss programs
- Strengthening bones of the body
- Taking care of brain health.
- Boosting immunity.
- Reducing inflammation from the body, etc.
Why choose Milkio Grass-fed ghee?
- Milkio Grass-fed is made from 100% grass-fed cow milk butter, and it is a New Zealand-made product, which is 100% pure and natural. Its purity is certified by the USDA.
- Milkio Grass-fed ghee is a certified organic and Non-GMO dairy product, and it is certified by BioGro, NZ. It offers a higher smoke point and a long shelf-life.
- Because of high smoke point, Milkio grass-fed ghee is safe cooking oil you can use for daily cooking and gourmet cooking like baking, sautéing, deep-frying, etc.
- You can use Milkio ghee in cooking and as raw as a healthy regular butter substitute. Besides using Milkio Ghee as a spread on morning toast, you can make bullet-proof coffee. It is a natural taste enhancer.
- You can use it in all types of baked dishes.
- Milkio Grass-fed organic ghee is Semi-solid in texture and offers a unique nutty aroma. It is manufactured from 100% grass-fed milk-butter using an original ghee-making method.
- The grass-fed ghee from Milkio Foods is creamy in texture and golden yellow.
- The ghee clarified butter offers a freshening nutty aroma.
- It is manufactured from 100% grass-fed milk-butter using an original ghee-making method.
- The grass-fed ghee from Milkio Foods is creamy in texture and golden yellow. The ghee clarified butter offers a freshening nutty aroma.
- Is ghee a good fat? know why it’s more than just a fatty dairy
- Ghee vs butter: 4 reasons ghee is a better butter for your balanced diet
- Cow ghee nutrition facts that make ghee a super healthy food