Listen this post
Ghee shelf-life is a unique feature of this dairy product.
Essentially ghee’s storage friendliness is elucidated by its extended shelf life. According to dairy standard, a good quality grass-fed ghee stays intact for the next 12 months from the date of manufacturing if some conditions are adhered to. These conditions are termed here as home remedies for ghee storage, which are easy to perform and executable without the refrigeration support.
However, here we are talking about organic grass-fed cow ghee, which is prepared from organic grass-fed cow milk using the traditional ghee making method. Pure grass-fed cow ghee is a natural product and it is free from chemical preservatives, color, and flavor. If you want to enjoy the best ghee benefits, you must go for premium quality organic grass-fed cow ghee.
To store and preserve ghee is your kitchen shelf for an extended period, you don’t need to offer the support of refrigeration for ghee storage. But ghee storing is not that simple as it seems to be.
You have to take care of the environment, humidity, light, and heat exposure to maintain even the best quality ghee for your use. Ghee shelf life is widely dependent on these factors.
The dry and dark shelf is a prerequisite for ghee storage
- If you want to preserve cow ghee longer than usual of its shelf life, you should place the ghee-storage container into a dry and dark shelf of your kitchen cabinet. Cow ghee remains fine within the dry and dark place as this dairy is a photosensitive item.
- Unusual and frequent exposure to sunlight or glaring light may spoil the texture and aroma of grass-fed cow ghee and it may hamper the overall product quality. Equally, proximity to humidity and frequent exposure to air is detrimental to cow ghee shelf-life.
- A closed shelf or a dark and dry kitchen cabinet is the best option for storing ghee and to extend ghee shelf life longer than usual.
Moisture intrusion is harmful to ghee quality
- The ghee in a container is not moisture-friendly. You should keep the lead of the container tightly enclosed. Alternatively, you should not use any damp spoon in the ghee container because the unsolicited entry of moisture turns cow ghee rancid. Rancid ghee is not preservation friendly and it interrupts its longer shelf life for sure.
- Similarly, the loose lid of a ghee-container can allow moisture to infringe in the dairy product, which can spoil the texture of the dairy in the container. To cut the long story short, cow ghee stays well preserved longer than usual, if you can keep it away from all possibilities of moisture intrusion. Moisture prevention will help you a lot in storing ghee for an extended time frame without the support of refrigeration.
Use an air-tight container for ghee storage is the best
- The best storage container for grass-fed cow ghee is a glass container to preserve. Cow Ghee stays best in a dark-colored glass container. However, a glass container is fragile and can be slipped off from your hand anytime. So it important to maintain precaution.
- However, instead of a glass container, you can use virgin plastic made containers as well. A plastic container is a safer option to store ghee as plastic is unbreakable. Furthermore, the plastic container can retain the quality of the stored ghee at its best and it is mostly non-toxic.
Do not keep cow ghee in an open bowl
- If you want to store ghee for long, do not keep it in an open bowl. Ghee gets spoiled if it comes to the direct contact of oxygen in the air and turns into its rancid stage.
- If you decide to keep ghee in the refrigerator, always store in in refrigerator friendly container. These containers are costly no doubt but it will take care of this dairy delicacy perfectly.
- However, before storing the ghee in a plastic/glass container, be double sure that the container is dry and completely clean. Any kind of impurities may affect negatively the quality and constituency of the cow ghee in the bowl.
Human touch for the ghee can spoil the product
Whenever you want to take out ghee, you should not pour your finger in the ghee in the bowl directly. The acid pH of your hand may spoil the ghee texture permanently. It is better to use a glass or metallic spoon to take ghee out. It is not recommended to keep a metallic spoon placed in the ghee container for long.
Ghee storage tips you should follow
- Ghee should always be stored in a dry odorless glass- jar, or an airtight vessel
- You must use a dry and clean glass or metallic spoon to take it out from the storage container. Otherwise, this brown butter may lose its flavorful quality due to the moisture intrusion
- Make sure that you store the ghee in a glass gate with dark glass
- A metallic container is not recommended for storing ghee for a longer time
- If you ever find unusual black spots in the stored ghee, just melt the product in a clean container immediately. The visible black spots are nothing but certain dirt particles that are being seen on the bottommost part of the pot. Now you have to pour the clean ghee in another clean container after gentle sieving.
These are some of the handy home remedies, which you can try to extend the shelf life of ghee after you have purchased it. By following the storage suggestions listed above, you can extend the shelf life of the cow ghee you are so fond of.
However, you may get to use all these remedies for ghee preservation and positive result provided you have purchased the best quality grass-fed cow ghee. It is already proven that you can store perfectly only unadulterated, organically certified, synthetic color, flavor, and preservative-free ghee, but quality compromised ghee is always prone to get rancid if it is preserved without the continuous support of refrigeration.
Want to buy organic 100% grass-fed cow ghee with an extended ghee shelf life?
You may buy New Zealand made Milkio cow ghee, which is produced from 100% grass-fed cow milk with a professional focus on strict quality assurance. To date, the product has accrued excellent market feedback from the existing consumers.