Ghee shelf life is a unique feature of this dairy cooking oil besides its unique health benefits like digestion support, weight loss, vitamin, and antioxidant support, etc.
Essentially ghee’s storage friendliness is elucidated by its extended shelf life. According to dairy standards, a good quality grass-fed ghee stays intact for the next 12 months from the date of manufacturing if some conditions are obeyed to store this dairy superfood.
These are easy to manage conditions for ghee storage, which are easy to perform at home and you can store ghee in your kitchen with any refrigeration support.
However, here we are talking about organic grass-fed cow ghee. Traditionally ghee manufacturers prepare it from organic grass-fed butter or cream using the traditional ghee making method. Pure grass-fed cow ghee is a natural product and it is free from chemical preservatives, synthetic color, and artificial flavor. If you want to enjoy the best ghee benefits, you must go for premium quality organic grass-fed cow ghee.
To store and preserve ghee is your kitchen shelf for an extended period, you don’t need to offer the support of refrigeration for ghee storage. You can store it at a normal temperature. But ghee storage is not that simple as it seems to be.
You have to take care of the environment, humidity, light, and heat exposure to maintain even the best quality ghee for your use. Ghee shelf life of grass-fed ghee is widely dependent on the following factors.
The dry and dark shelf is a prerequisite
- If you want to preserve cow ghee longer than usual of its ghee shelf life, you should place the ghee-storage container into a dry and dark shelf of your kitchen cabinet. Cow ghee remains fine within the dry and dark place as this clarified butter oil is a photosensitive item.
- Unusual and frequent exposure to sunlight or glaring light may spoil the texture and aroma of grass-fed organic ghee and it may hamper the overall product quality. Equally, proximity to humidity and frequent exposure to air is detrimental to cow ghee shelf life.
- A closed shelf or a dark and dry kitchen cabinet is the best option for storing ghee and extending ghee shelf life longer than usual. Milkio Organic ghee lasts from 12-18 months at normal temperature in a kitchen.
Moisture intrusion is harmful to ghee quality
- The ghee in a container is not moisture-friendly. You should keep the lead of the container tightly enclosed. Furthermore, you should not use any damp spoon in the ghee container because the unsolicited entry of moisture turns cow ghee rancid. Rancid ghee is not preservation friendly and it interrupts its longer shelf life for sure.
- Similarly, the loose lid of a ghee-container can allow moisture to infringe in the dairy product, which can spoil the texture of the dairy in the container. To cut the long story short, cow ghee stays well preserved longer than usual, if you can keep it away from all possibilities of moisture intrusion.
- Moisture prevention will help you a lot in storing ghee for an extended time frame without the support of refrigeration.
Use an air-tight container for ghee storage is the best
- The best storage container for grass-fed cow ghee is a glass container to preserve. Cow Ghee stays best in a dark-colored glass container. However, a glass container is fragile and can be slipped off from your hand at any time. So it important to maintain precaution.
- However, instead of a glass container, you can use virgin plastic made containers as well. A plastic container is a safer option to store ghee as plastic is unbreakable. Furthermore, the plastic container can retain the quality of the stored ghee at its best and it is mostly non-toxic.
Do not keep cow ghee in an open bowl
- If you want to store ghee for long, do not keep it in an open bowl. Ghee gets spoiled if it comes to the direct contact of oxygen in the air and turns into its rancid stage.
- If you decide to keep ghee in the refrigerator, always store it in refrigerator friendly container. These containers are costly no doubt but they will take care of this dairy delicacy perfectly.
- However, before storing the ghee in a plastic/glass container, be double sure that the container is dry and completely clean. Any kind of impurities may affect negatively the quality and constituency of the cow ghee in the bowl.
Human touch for the ghee can spoil the product
Whenever you want to take out ghee, you should not pour your finger in the ghee in the bowl directly. The acid pH of your hand may spoil the ghee texture permanently. It is better to use a glass or metallic spoon to take ghee out. It is not recommended to keep a metallic spoon placed in the ghee container for long.
As both butter and ghee are dairy products and both are ketogenic diet compatible dairy products, a comparison may come to mind about ghee vs. butter shelf friendliness and health benefits. Let’s take a close-view.
Although both ghee butter and butter contain the same fatty acids, the ghee lacks the Milk solids part of butter and that makes ghee nutritional support unique.
Ghee offers a high smoke point than butter and that makes ghee a safer cooking oil than butter. For high-temperature cooking like baking, sautéing, deep-frying, ghee is a better choice.
Pure cow Ghee clarified butter is more shelf stable than regular butter.
As ghee fat is free of lactose and casein, ghee is free of the risk of lactose intolerance. But butter contains lactose and casein so it may not be safe for lactose intolerant consumers.
Finally, we can substitute butter with ghee, but substituting ghee with butter may not be a wise choice.
Ghee storage tips you should follow
- Ghee should always be stored in a dry odorless glass- jar, or an airtight vessel
- You must use a dry and clean glass or metallic spoon to take it out from the storage container. Otherwise, this brown butter may lose its flavorful quality due to the moisture intrusion
- Make sure that you store the ghee in a glass gate with dark glass
- A metallic container is not recommended for storing ghee for a longer time
- If you ever find unusual black spots in the stored ghee, just melt the product in a clean container immediately. The visible black spots are nothing but certain dirt particles that are being seen on the bottommost part of the pot. Now you have to pour the clean ghee into another clean container after gentle sieving.
These are some of the handy remedies, which you can safely try to extend the shelf life of ghee after you have purchased it. By following the storage suggestions listed above, you can extend the shelf life of the cow ghee you are so fond of
However, you may get to use all these remedies for ghee preservation and positive result provided you have purchased the best quality grass-fed cow ghee. It is already proven that you can store perfectly only unadulterated, organically certified, synthetic color, flavor, and preservative-free ghee, but quality compromised ghee is always prone to get rancid if it is preserved without the continuous support of refrigeration.
Want to buy organic 100% grass-fed cow ghee with an extended ghee shelf life?
You may buy New Zealand made Milkio cow ghee, which is produced from 100% grass-fed cow milk. These dairy cows are fed with organic green grass and are allowed to roam freely on green open pastures Milkio Foods maintains a USDFA approved manufacturing facility with a diligent focus on strict quality assurance. To date, the product has accrued excellent market feedback from the existing consumers.
Milkio Grass-fed ghee is organic-certified. It is a natural product and free of lactose, casein, gluten, sugar, and carbohydrate. With up to 64% saturated milk fat content Milkio ghee is Keto diet and Paleo diet friend
Besides long ghee shelf life, Milkio ghee from New Zealand offers higher smoke points and that makes it a healthier cooking oil than olive oil, coconut oil, etc. Milkio Ghee is 100% grass-fed and as a special trait of grass-fed ghee, contains a higher amount of MCTs like CLA, Omega 3 than the non-grass-fed ghee variety. It is lactose and casein-free dairy product, which is also free from sugar, gluten , and carbs.
Milkio grass-fed ghee is shelf-stable. which means the ghee shelf life is longer. Moreover, the manufacturer offers the storage instruction on the product label for the help of the buyers. But Milkio Ghee in bulk and enjoy its wholesome nutritional benefit round the year. You can use it in daily cooking as well as in gourmet cooking. You may use Milkio ghee as a healthy butter alternative too.
Reference Links :