Organic grass fed ghee is a shelf stable product and quality manufactured cow ghee can be stored for 12 months after its production.
However, usually grass fed cow ghee does not need the support of refrigeration if you can maintain few directions and storage conditions.
You can store cow ghee for long without keeping it in refrigerator with these restrictions.
- Store grass fed cow ghee in an air tight jar, preferably in a glass jar. You have to keep the jar away from direct sunlight and with the lid on. The dry and dark shelf of your kitchen cupboard is the best place to store cow ghee for long term.
- You must use a dry and clean spoon to take out ghee out of the jar. Or else you may place some small quantity of cow ghee in a small container. This is the best way to maintain the quality and texture of the bottled cow ghee.
- Do not use moist spoon for taking out ghee. It will be risky for the quality maintenance. Contact with unwanted moisture may spoil the entire bottle/jar of cow ghee.
- If you have purchased cow ghee in a bigger quantity, it is always safe to use ghee as per daily needs from a small container. Instead of plastic container air tight glass container or steel made container is a better choice.
- During summer, organic grass fed ghee mostly remains in semi liquid state. It is rightly called kitchen staple. Both veterans and non-vegetarians can use ghee in moderation.
Sometimes cow ghee looks runny and unstable
Cow ghee contains lots of medium chain triglycerides (MCT) and these MCTs offer different melting points. Difference in climate than its manufacturing climate may cause these MCTs melting.
The mix of melted MCTs and crystallized parts of the fats are the reason for the unpredictable contour of ghee. It may seem runny and inconsistent.
This problem seems natural in summer season. In wintry season ghee’s normal density remains completely unhampered.
But if the organic grass fed ghee seems to be too unusually unstable, and there is no trace of creamy or grainy texture in it, you may try these easy methods to make it consistent.
- Pour the entire cow ghee in a steel pan with heavier bottom. Heat the ghee and let it melt completely. Once it is semi cooled, put it back in the jar.
- You can place the ghee jar in semi-hot water and allow the jar sit on the warm water bed for some time. You will find shortly the ghee is back to a regular texture.
- You may keep the grass fed cow ghee jar is refrigerator for overnight, and it will be back in its regular consistency.
Refrigeration is done here for maintaining the consistency of the cow ghee in jar. But you don’t need to preserve ghee in refrigerator.
How to preserve an opened jar of cow ghee?
Once you have opened a jar of organic grass fed ghee, you must learn the preservation clues. Otherwise, there is a fair chance that due to wrong preservation, the quality of cow ghee will get compromised. The common recommendations are:
- You must use an air tight container for storing ghee.
- Glass container is a better option for long storage.
- Keep the jar away from direct sunlight or external heat.
- If possible, prefer a color glass jar for storing grass fed cow ghee in normal temperature.
- It is important to use dry and clean spoon for taking out of ghee from the jar.
- Store the jar in a dry and clean place.
Besides, you must check the recommendation of the manufacturer for ideal storage of the organic grass fed ghee you have bought. If the manufacturer recommends refrigeration of the ghee jar once it opened, you may opt for refrigeration of the ghee in the jar.
Otherwise cow ghee is shelf stable and does not need preservation support of refrigerator.
What to check while buying grass fed cow ghee?
Grass fed organic ghee is one of the best variants of cow ghee available in market. Before you buy the product, check a few points.
- If 100% grass fed cow ghee is used for making the ghee.
- If the organic cow ghee is shelf stable.
- If organic certification of the cow ghee is available.
- If the cow ghee is free from preservative, synthetic color, flavor, etc.
- If the product is recommended for lactose intolerant people.
- If manufacturing date of the organic grass fed ghee is clearly mentioned.
- If the expiry date is clearly mentioned on the cow ghee label.
Why cow ghee NZ is highly appreciated?
Dairy products from New Zealand is highly appreciated globally because of the purity of the product.
Grass fed Cow ghee from NZ is procured from best quality organic grass fed cow ghee and that makes the ghee quality best in its category.
For example, Milkio grass fed ghee from New Zealand is a world class organic grass fed ghee and manufactured in New Zealand from 100% grass fed cow milk.