Is ghee the same as clarified butter?
Is ghee the same as clarified butter? Have you thought about it? Primarily ghee and clarified butter are used interchangeably for each other. So, there is fair logic to assume that both clarified and ghee are synonyms. But according to dairy experts, there are not the same. Some disparity factors are there.
Ghee and clarified butter: raw material is different
Both are milk products and are cooked from milk fat. But ghee is produced by overcooking clarified butter. Whereas clarified butter is cooked from unsalted milk butter or cream.
Both are cooked by slow cooking method; however, ghee cooking time is higher than clarified butter.
- Clarified butter is cooked from unsalted milk butter.
- Ghee is cooked from clarified butter.
Is ghee the same as clarified butter? What says culinary tradition?
Is ghee the same as clarified butter? The answer is tricky. Ideally, both the dairy items may work almost similarly, but their origins are different.
Historically, ghee was an Indian delicacy, while clarified butter was popularly used in French cuisines. Ghee releases a nutty aroma, while clarified butter may have a smell or may not have the same aroma scale.
There is a difference between the texture of ghee and clarified butter. Ghee is slightly granular in its consistency, whereas clarified butter is silky creamy.
Ghee’s color and shelf stability are different.
Ghee is called in Sanskrit as Ghritam, and clarified butter is also known as drawn butter. Ghee is entirely free of moisture, and that is why it may stay ages in the dark and dry shelf. In India, old ghee was used in making ayurvedic medicine.
Alternatively, clarified shows its shelf friendliness. It stays intact at room temperature up to 18 months from its manufacturing date. However, organic grass-fed ghee only offers the highest shelf-life.
Ghee takes the color of caramel ultimately, and it happens due to overcooking of clarified butter. But clarified butter is of golden yellow color. Then it remains semi-solid at room temperature.
The similarities between ghee and clarified butter
The query is ghee the same as clarified butter is not generated out of the blue. It has some solid ground for confusion because both the dairy items show some unique similarities.
- Both ghee and clarified butter offer high smoke points and act stable against high heat temperature cooking.
- Ghee, similar to clarified butter, offers unique health benefits. Both the dairy products contain CLA and butyrate, which provide passive support for natural weight loss and promote good colon care.
- Both the products contain up to 64% saturated fats, and both are keto and Paleo-friendly.
- Both ghee and clarified butter are lactose and casein-free, hence ideal for consuming dairy-sensitive/lactose-intolerant people.
- Grass-fed products are the best for both ghee and clarified butter varieties for human consumption.
What is grass-fed dairy?
Grass-fed dairying is about the feed of the ruminates from where ghee producers collect milk for ghee manufacturing. Grass-fed cows and sheep are fed on green grass only, and grass-fed animals produce better quality milk than non-grass-fed animals.
According to dairy research, grass-fed cow milk is more nutritious than non-grass-fed milk. Grass-fed milk contains more CLA and butyrate that offers unique health benefits, which are called grass-fed goodness. New Zealand dairy products are world-famous for their grass-fed goodness.
Why New Zealand Grass-fed ghee is a better option?
New Zealand is ideal for making milk, with a temperate climate, fertile soils, and abundant water that generate a perfect environment for growing healthy grass. New Zealand cows are pasture-raised, meaning they are open to graze, follow their natural affinity to be outdoors, lead a stress-free life. The spirit of dairying in New Zealand is the spirit of ingenuity.
Picking Milkio Means you are choosing New Zealand, the proven place for food safety and integrity in your daily life.
About Milkio Grass-fed ghee
Milkio Grass-fed ghee is made in New Zealand and offers 100% grass-fed goodness to its consumers. It is a USDA-approved dairy product for its 100% purity. Milkio grass-fed ghee clarified butter is all-natural and does not contain artificial color, flavor, and chemical preservatives. It is a butterfly-marked non-GMO certified product (by Non-GMO Project Verified, USA) and an organic certified dairy product by BioGro, New Zealand.
- Cultured organic ghee: it’s healthy, refined, and safe in food
- Why is ghee better than butter? 3 points of difference
- Ghee butyrate content is a vital part of ghee nutrition & colon care
- Is ghee and clarified butter the same: Choose before you buy