Ghee properties are unique and wholesome.
However, none of these ghee properties is magic or based on personal opinion. All the ghee nutrients are of various types and stand responsible for this dairy oil’s health-friendly nature. However, the purity of the raw ingredients and exact manufacturing process of Ghee is the contributing factor for Ghee’s wholesome nutrition and health benefits on which the properties of this dairy staple is dependent.
Ghee is the Indian form of clarified butter. It is amalgamated with Indian culture and cuisines since 1500 BC. Its popularity is mainly because of its therapeutic properties, nutritional values, and delicious taste and aroma. It has immense importance in Ayurveda and used for making ayurvedic medicines for ages.
Pure cow Ghee is prepared by boiling cow milk butter above 100 degrees C until almost all the moisture evaporates and the milk solids (ghee residue: lactose, milk protein, ash) separates, leaving the pure fat layer on the top. The caramelization of ghee residues gives Ghee a characteristic nutty taste, slightly caramelized aroma, and caramelized golden colour. It is then filtered to remove all residues.
Ghee has rich & pleasant sensory and unique physical & chemical properties that provide several cookeries and health benefits. It is free of lactose and casein, therefore suitable for lactose-intolerant people. Last but not least, it is Keto and Paleo-friendly.
These factors collectively gave Ghee a universal acceptance as a superfood and healthy alternative to cooking oils or butter. It is the most value-added dairy product.
Pasture feeding is identified to positively impact the nutritional properties of milk fat. Thus, grass-fed or organic grass-fed or organic Ghee is more nutritious and categorized as premium.
Ghee properties: a detailing
- Physical properties: Ghee contains not less than 99.6 % fat and not more than 0.3% moisture.
- The free fatty acids content is not more than 0.3%.
- It has a smoke point of 482 degrees F
- Chemical properties: healthy fatty acids profile
- Ghee contains about 62% saturated fat, of which 89% comprises of medium and short-chain fatty acids with 3% of linoleic acid)
- Contains 23-38% unsaturated fat (28.7% MUFA)
- Contains 25% MCTs
- Contains essential fatty acids (linolenic acid and arachidonic acid), butyrate, Omega-3 fatty acids and Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)
- Rich in fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K
- Grass-fed or organic grass-fed or organic Ghee contains Omega-3 fatty acids, Vaccenic acid, Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) in higher concentration.
- Sensory properties:
- It has a characteristic nutty aroma, creamy or slightly granular texture, marginally caramelized or golden colour.
Various unique properties of Cow’s milk Ghee give several benefits:
Ghee is principally used for cooking, frying, roasting, baking, seasoning, or toppings for various foods. It has a high smoke point of about 482 degrees F. Thus, less likely to get burnt and produces much fewer toxic compounds (toxic Acrylamide, free radicals) than other cooking oils or butter during high-temperature cooking processes. It is a healthy alternative to cooking oils or butter.
Excellent replacement of butter:
- Nutritionally, Ghee and butter are almost the same. But Ghee has a higher concentration of fat. Therefore, it contains a slightly elevated amount of healthy fats and vitamins and offers more calories.
- One tablespoon of Ghee provides 120 calories, while butter provides 102 calories.
- Unlike butter, it is suitable for people suffering from dairy allergies.
- Unlike butter, Ghee is hugely suitable and widely used in high heat cooking processes.
- Ghee can be used in baking and bakery products, just like butter.
Healthy replacement of cooking oils:
- Ghee is healthy (contains medium and short-chain fatty acids and essential fatty acids) as well as has a high smoke point (482 degrees F). Thus, a nutritious choice over cooking oils.
- It has a characteristic aroma and taste, which significantly improves the flavour of cooked food, unlike oil.
- It is used in seasoning food to increase the flavour and taste of various recipes from world cuisines. In contrast, cooking oils are mostly used in cooking recipes.
The unique flavour and delicious taste of Ghee are some of the most important criteria for its universal acceptance among food lovers. Cooking with Ghee or added as a seasoning enhances the overall acceptability of any recipe from world cuisines. It can also be consumed as a spread on morning toasts or in morning coffee/ smoothies to make a high-calorie drink.
Long Shelf life:
Ghee has a very low moisture content (not more than 0.3-0.4%), which plays a vital role in preventing microbial growth. Moreover, the Ghee’s low acidity and the presence of natural antioxidants contribute to extending its shelf life. So, Ghee is a shelf-stable product. You can store it at ambient conditions for 12-18 months.
Suitable for people with dietary restrictions:
- Ghee is almost free of lactose and casein. Thus, suitable for people suffering from dairy allergies like lactose intolerance or allergy to casein.
- Ghee Suitable for Ketogenic diet (Keto diet/ no-carb diet) and Paleo-friendly diet.
Nutritional benefits of Ghee:
Ghee is rich in different nutrients. Ghee properties and benefits are related to these nutrients.
- CLA (conjugated linoleic acid): Enhances immunity, improves bone mineralization, and helps in natural weight loss.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids (Essential Fatty Acids): Beneficial to heart, brain, eye, other tissue functions and helps in reducing inflammation in the body.
- Butyric acid or butyrate: Helps in digestion and releases constipation.
- Beta-carotene: which is an antioxidant and the precursor for vitamin A in the human body.
- Saturated fat: Provides sustained energy.
- Fat-soluble Vitamins A, D, E, K: Essential for immunity, skin, eyes, and calcium metabolism.
Therapeutic properties of Ghee:
According to Ayurveda, moderate consumption of pure cow ghee in the diet is health-friendly and imparts several benefits. Some of these benefits are:
- it boosts memory power and natural immunity
- Due to its high-calorie, Ghee offers to sustain energy when added to the diet.
- Ghee contains nutrients, and that helps naturally rejuvenates the body.
- Ghee saturated fats are helpful for natural weight loss if added to the diet.
- Ghee clarified butter in the diet improves the health of hair and skin.
Ghee properties are wholesome and unique. Some of these are:
- The unique physical, chemical, and sensorial properties of Ghee make it a tastier and a healthy nutritious choice over common cooking oils and regular butter. Modern dieticians call it a superfood considering its beneficial effects and therapeutic usages.
- It is suitable for individuals with dietary restrictions (lactose intolerant/ allergic to casein)
- It is absolutely suitable for high-temperature cooking like baking, deep-frying, sautéing, etc.
- Grass-fed Ghee is shelf-friendly: you can store it at room temperature for 12-18 month from the date of manufacturing.
Condition of Ghee-diet:
- Follow moderate consumption of Ghee and a balanced diet.
- You need to follow an active lifestyle.
Ghee was originated in Indian and it is almost similar to clarified butter, which is popular in western countries and the USA. It is amalgamated with Indian culture and cuisines since 1500 BC. Its popularity is mainly because of its therapeutic properties, nutritional values, and delicious taste and aroma. It has immense importance in Ayurveda and used for making ayurvedic medicines for ages.
Now it’s time to find the best grass-fed Ghee for your dietary use to get all the ghee benefits. For premium quality grass-fed or organic Ghee, you may go for Milkio Grass-fed ghee or organic ghee range from Milkio Foods.
Ghee properties and details of Milkio grass-fed ghee:
- Milkio organic grass-fed ghee is certified “Non-GMO & Organic” by BioGro NZ Ltd, New Zealand.
- It is a natural product and does not contain preservatives.
- It is free of lactose, casein, gluten, and sugar.
- Milkio grass-fed and organic ghee range are storage-friendly. You may store the Ghee for 12-18 months in your kitchen without refrigeration support.
- It offers high smoke points, and this premium quality ghee is Keto and Paleo-friendly.
- Milkio ghee is Halal and Kosher certified.
To know more about Milkio ghee properties and wholesome nutrition, please check here.
- Grass-fed organic ghee
- Carbs in Ghee: ghee nutritional benefit for weight-loss Keto diet planning
- Is butter keto friendly?