How long will ghee last
“How long will ghee last” is an intricate question because generally, we find that milk made dairy products are quite sensitive in terms of storage.
But contrary to the common notion, ghee is unique in this aspect. Although made of milk, pure ghee is highly shelf-stable and you can easily store it in a common kitchen at least for 12 months from its date of manufacturing.
You can store pure cow ghee in your kitchen without the support of refrigeration. However, you have to maintain a few storage conditions for enjoying ghee’s shelf-stable feature.
- Store ghee clarified butter in an airtight container, preferably in a dark container with a tight lid.
- Place the ghee container in a dry and dark shelf in your kitchen cabinet, away from unwanted exposure to heat and light.
- Prefer using a dry spoon when you need to take out ghee from the jar.
- Do not allow moisture to intrude the jar as moisture intrusion makes ghee spoilt.
- Do not expose ghee jar under the sunlight: pure ghee is photo-sensitive and sun exposure may shorten ghee life.
- Buy only pure organic 100% grass-fed cow ghee. Only pure cow ghee will offer you longer shelf-life and a higher smoke point, which is beneficial for ghee cooking as well.
How long will ghee last? There is really no fix rule or formula. But if you use unadulterated cow ghee with the aforementioned storage condition you will enjoy longer shelf life of your favorite dairy-staple.