Machbous Recipe with lamb: make it delicious with Milkio ghee
Machboos is an Arabian Bedouins favorite meal. It is a perfect Iftar meal that reflects a rich Emirati heritage.
Machbous is UAE’s one of the most traditional dishes. It is a festive dish although people of UAE prefer to have it quite frequently for its delicious taste and nutritional quality.
It is mostly made with lamb, but this preparation can be tried with Pomfret fish as well as with chicken. The taste is wholesome and the effort it needs to cook the dish is worth trying.
- Prep Time : 20 minutes.
- Cooking time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Serving-8-10 people approximately.
Ingredients for the recipe
The entire Machbous cooking process is divided in three portions:
- Preparing the meat
- Cooking the gravy
- Cooking the rice.
For the lamb:
Lamb meat, well rinsed, dried, marinated overnight with
- Bezar spice,
- Lemon juice,
Instruction for preparing the Machbous gravy:
- Milkio’s grass fed sheep Ghee for cooking
- Onions: 6 finely sliced
- Green chilies, garlic and ginger: 50g each, finely chopped
- Bezar spice: 3-1/2 Tablespoon
- Ground turmeric: 1/2 Tablespoon
- Ground cinnamon: 1 teaspoon.
- Cinnamon sticks and cardamom: 10 each
- Cloves: 8 cloves
- Dry Fruits(Sultanas, whole blanched almonds, and whole unsalted raw cashew nuts): 1 cup each,
- Fresh tomatoes: 6 chopped
- tomato paste: 1 cup,
- Curry leaves: a handful.
For cooking the rice:
Salt: to taste
Milkio’s grass fed sheep ghee: 1 tablespoon
- 6 cups yellow split peas, boiled with salt and turmeric and sautéed with 3 finely sliced onions until the peas get brown
- 1 tablespoon bezar spice
- 2 teaspoon saffron, soaked in lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rose water
Instruction for Cooking
Cooking the lamb Machbous
- Take a deep sauce pan and add water into it.
- When water starts boiling add the lamb into it and boil lamb with salt, turmeric and a pinch of little bezar spice for next 45 minutes.
- Remove lamb from the stock and keep apart. Reserve the stock for preparing the rice.
- To prepare the gravy, heat milkio’sgrass fed sheep ghee in a large saucepan, and start sautéing onions until the onions become golden brown.
- Now add garlic, ginger, and green chilies and sauté them until the ingredients get tender and a little brown in color.
- It’s time to add bezar spice, turmeric, crushed cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves and continue sautéing the mix on low heat for 3-4 minutes.
- You have to add tomato paste, curry leaves and half of the chopped fresh coriander.
- You have to continue cooking on low heat for further a minute. Add lamb to it and season with salt.
- To prepare rice, boil rice in large saucepan with 2.5 liters of water until all the water is absorbed.
- you have to add already prepared lamb stock and cook until all the stock gets absorbed in the rice.
- Spoon Milkio’s Himalayan pink salt ghee over the cooked dish the and keep aside.
- Now spoon lamb Machbous and gravy on top of the rice and garnish with the remaining coriander.
- Cover the lid and cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Remove from heat and set rice aside.
- Garnish with sautéed split peas and bezar spice.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with rose water and saffron. Serve hot and enjoy the delicacy.
Why Milkio Ghee is the best for cooking Lamb Macbous?
- Milkio grass fed sheep ghee is a pure New Zealand product that adds rich creaminess in your spicy cooking.
- It is a grade-1 taste enhancer. Milkio ghee in Lamb Machbous helps in enhancing the taste of the spices used.
- Milkio Ghee offers a high smoke point. It is safe to do high-temperature slow cooking with Milkio grass-fed ghee.
Reference Links :