Listen this post
Milkio Grass fed ghee : Ketogenic Diet Snack Ideas
In addition to the above food groups, there are a number of convenient snacks which are suitable for ketogenic diets.
Here’s a list to give you a few ideas:
- Berries and cream: Your choice of berries in a bowl with some heavy cream.
- Boiled eggs: If you have any feelings of hunger, a few boiled eggs does a great thing for satiety.
- Celery with cream cheese: Spread some cream cheese on a few stalks of celery for some nutrients and fat-soluble vitamins.
- Cheese and Prosciutto: If you’re craving some finger-food, then cheese and prosciutto is an excellent option. Add a glass of red wine if you like.
- Dark chocolate: 85% minimum.
- Guacamole salad: Mash some guacamole and add in your ingredients of choice.
- Keto milkshake: blend some coconut milk alongside some cacao and a natural (ish) sweetener such as erythritol. Another good option is to use fresh berries for a fruit milkshake.
- Mozzarella sticks: The website ‘Healthful Pursuit’ has some delicious looking mozzarella sticks made with almond flour.
- Pork rinds: Crispy pork goodness that you can easily make at home.
Foods to Avoid on Keto
Due to the nature of the ketogenic diet, carbohydrate content in food should be low — ideally below about 5% or so.
Therefore, you need to restrict grains, starches, sugars and high-carb plant foods.
Below you can see a list of foods to avoid if you want to achieve ketosis:
- Dried fruit (a slight amount is OK, but best avoided)
- Fruits high in carbs (banana, mango, papaya, etc.)
- Fruit juice
- Grains (bread, oats, pasta, rice, etc.)
- Low-fat processed foods
- Milk (a very small amount is OK)
- Sugary foods in general
- Sweet wines/sugary alcohol in general
- Tubers such as parsnips, potatoes, and sweet potatoes
And these foods are technically ‘ketogenic,’ but it’s better to avoid them for health:
- Low-carb processed foods: they may be low-carb, but they’re usually full of additives.
- Vegetable oils
Keto versions of high-carb foods
While it’s better to stick with nutrient-dense foods like meat, fish, and vegetables, many people like a treat from time to time.
And if you want to be ‘keto’ yet still have a pizza, some bread, or even a piece of cake – it’s possible.
Image and Article source : By Michael Joseph, MSc