Ghee & curd rice combo diet: harmony in health
The ghee and curd rice diet is now in great demand. Health freaks are laying focus on the combo as Curd rice on one hand and ghee on the other. According to Yellow magazine, this diet combo is The secret to Kareena Kapoor Khan’s fitness.
Kareena Kapoor Khan’s new avatar as a mother has been a hot topic of discussion for a while now. The actress quite adequately fits the idea of the ‘new mother’. It is quite endearing to see the juggle between her super-sassy demeanor of a Bollywood icon and her role as the mother of baby Taimur. What also caught our attention was Kareena’s post-pregnancy fitness.
How does ghee help in a post-pregnancy diet?
Ghee or clarified butter can be a value-added food to a post-pregnancy diet in several ways:
- Nutrient Density: The clarified butter dairy oil is rich in fat-soluble vitamins like A, D, E, and K, essential for post-pregnancy recovery and overall health.
- Energy Source: Post-pregnancy, mothers often need extra energy, and ghee provides a concentrated source of healthy fats and calories, aiding in energy restoration.
- Lactation Support: Ghee’s healthy fats can help support breast milk production, providing essential nutrients to the newborn.
- Digestive Aid: Clarified butter is easily digestible and can help soothe the digestive system, which may be sensitive after childbirth.
- Joint and Tissue Recovery: Ghee contains butyric acid, which may assist in the healing and recovery of tissues, including those affected during childbirth.
- Brain Health: The fatty acids in ghee, such as omega-3s and omega-6s, can support brain health, which is crucial during the postpartum period.
- Flavor and Satisfaction: Ghee’s rich, nutty flavor can make post-pregnancy meals more satisfying and enjoyable, encouraging healthy eating.
Consuming ghee in moderation and as part of a balanced post-pregnancy diet is essential. Always consult a healthcare provider or a dietitian to generate a personalized nutrition plan that meets your needs and supports your postpartum recovery.
Health benefits of eating curd rice in the post-pregnancy diet
Eating curd rice as part of a post-pregnancy diet can offer several health benefits:
- Probiotics: Curd (yogurt) contains probiotics, such as Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium, which can help restore and maintain a healthy balance of gut bacteria. This is particularly important for postpartum women as it can aid digestion and support a robust immune system.
- Digestive Comfort: Curd’s probiotics and soothing properties can alleviate digestive discomfort daily post-pregnancy.
- Nutrient-Rich: Curd is a good source of calcium, protein, and essential vitamins like B12. These nutrients are crucial for postpartum recovery and breastfeeding.
- Hydration: The moisture content in curd rice helps maintain hydration, which is essential for nursing mothers and their overall well-being.
- Bone Health: Adequate calcium in curd rice can aid postpartum bone recovery, especially if the mother experiences calcium depletion during pregnancy.
- Weight Management: Curd rice’s protein and healthy fats can help manage post-pregnancy weight, providing satiety and supporting muscle recovery.
- Cooling Effect: In some cultures, curd rice is considered a cooling food, which can be soothing, especially if postpartum women experience hot flashes or discomfort.
- Easy to Digest: Curd rice is often considered a gentle and easy-to-digest food, making it suitable for those recovering from childbirth.
- Versatility: Curd rice can be customized with nutritious toppings like fruits, nuts, and seeds, providing variety and additional health benefits.
While curd rice can be a healthy addition to a post-pregnancy diet, it’s essential to ensure that it’s prepared and consumed safely to prevent any risk of foodborne illnesses. The combo of ghee and curd rice, for example, has helped Kareena Kapur to stay slim and fit after in her post-pregnancy period.
If you are wondering what kept her so fit, it was none other than one of India’s leading nutritionists, Rujuta Diwekar. And to share tips on pregnancy diet, the duo recently featured in a Facebook live chat to advise people on the same.
How to use ghee in a post-pregnancy diet?
Using ghee in a post-pregnancy diet can provide numerous health benefits, but it’s essential to incorporate it wisely. Here are some tips on how to use ghee in a post-pregnancy diet:
- Moderation: Clarified butter is calorie-dense, so use it in moderation. Stick to recommended serving sizes, typically a teaspoon or less per meal.
- Cooking: Use ghee for cooking and sautéing instead of less healthy fats like butter or vegetable oil. It has a high smoke point, making it suitable for high-heat cooking.
- Nutrient Boost: Add a teaspoon of clarified butter to steamed vegetables, soups, or stews to enhance flavor and provide a source of healthy fats.
- Grains: Drizzle melted ghee over whole grains like rice or quinoa for added richness and nutrition.
- Toast: Spread clarified butter on whole-grain toast or pancakes for a nutritious and flavorful topping.
- Baking: In baking recipes, use the dairy oil as a substitute for butter or oil to add a rich, buttery taste to your treats.
- Smoothies: Blend a small amount of ghee into smoothies to increase their fat content, making them more satisfying and nutritious.
- Tea: Some people enjoy adding a teaspoon of ghee to herbal teas or warm milk to promote digestion and provide energy.
- Traditional Dishes: Incorporate ghee into traditional postpartum dishes from your culture, such as lactation-enhancing recipes.
- Consult a Professional: Consult a healthcare provider or registered dietitian for personalized guidance on incorporating ghee into your post-pregnancy diet. They can help you create a balanced and nutritious meal plan that meets your needs and dietary preferences.
Post-pregnancy nutrition should prioritize overall health, recovery, and breastfeeding support.
While ghee can be a valuable addition due to its nutrient content and potential digestive benefits, it should be part of a well-rounded diet that includes a variety of foods to ensure you get all the essential nutrients needed during this vital phase.
In the live chat, Kareena revealed that she never compromises on things she prefers eating. What also came as a surprise was that the super slim mom is an ardent lover of clarified butter. During her pregnancy, too, she gorged on ghee-made foods and pure ghee diet. Having a healthy and sumptuous breakfast is the key.
Eating lots of vegetables with clarified butter is healthy too. This should also include a good eight hours of sleep. At the same time, one should remain active.
And perhaps after it, to exercise was much easier,” has expressed Kareena. She said that avoiding tea or coffee on an empty stomach is important. During her pregnancy, Kareena relied on lemon water with black salt and buttermilk ghee. Seasonal fruits were a part of her diet.
Kareena also said that one should not hesitate about hitting the gym post-delivery. “I love the idea of going to the gym. “I go with my friends, it’s good to have that time”, she said.