Baklava: the Arabian Pastry
Baklava is a yummy dessert, which offers its users an excellent savory test of syrup and chiseled texture of pure honey. The sweet pastry like dessert is easy to prepare and it takes little time to cook this delicious sweet Arabian dish at your smart kitchen. Originally Baklava is an Arabia dessert recipe but it is famous in western and Central Asian countries as well.
Ingredients needed for making the dish: (suitable for making 24-25 pieces)
- Frozen filo pastry sheets: 1 roll, properly thawed
- Milkio’s Ghee, melted: 125g
Items needed for making of the filling
- Pecan nuts: 300g, finely chopped
- Almonds: 300g, finely ground
- Sugar: ½ cup
- Cinnamon: 1 teaspoon grounded
For the syrup
- Water: 2 cups
- Sugar: 1 ½ cups
- Clove: 1 whole
- Lemon Juice: ½ a lemon
Instructions for making the dish:
- Preheat oven at 180 degree Celsius.
- Now chop the nuts in a food processor.
- Now you need to mix pecan nuts, almonds, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl. Keep the mix aside.
- You need to remove carefully the filo pastry roll from the plastic sleeve.
- Now you need to use a pair of scissors or a sharp knife: you have to cut the sheets in half. If the sheets get drying, you need to cover the sheets with a damp towel.
- Take a pastry brush: brush the bottom and all the sides of a rectangular pan with melted Milkio’s Ghee.
- You have to start cooking by layering six sheets of filo: make sure that you have brushed each of the sides with melted Milkio’s Ghee.
- Add ½ of the nut mixture in an even layer. Gently pat it down with a wooden spatula to make it flat.
- Now continue the task of layering with another 6 sheets of filo.
- Add the residual nut mixture in an even layer. Top with the rest filo sheets.
- Before baking, make the top layer of filo flat and even, so that you can cut the pieces with better ease.
- Bake the pastries for about 45 minutes or until the filo pastry gets rich golden color.
Making the syrup
- Combine the water and sugar in a medium saucepan and mix well.
- Add the clove in the mix and simmer the water sugar mix over a medium high heat for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and discard the clove. Add half a lemon’s juice into the syrup. Allow the syrup to cool marginally.
- Meanwhile the baklava baking will be done and they will be still in warm condition: now scoop the syrup carefully into the pan where baklavas are kept.
You may store Baklava in refrigerator as well as you may store them in room temperature.
Now enjoy the dessert with your friends and family: Milkio’s Ghee will add a special test with its pure quality in this UAE special dessert.
Reference Links :
Milkio organic ghee is apt for cooking all types of sweets and desserts like Gulab Jamun: its high smoking point is the cause to call it a safe cooking oil.
Gulab jamun is a milk-solid-based sweet from the Indian subcontinent, and a type of mithai, popular in India, Nepal, Pakistan, the Maldives, and Bangladesh, as well as Myanmar.
For readers who have never heard of Gulab Jamun, it can be classified as a donut. Traditionally made with flour and powdered milk it was then fried and finally added to the sweet rose syrup. The South African Indian version differs in two respects, firstly the finger is similar in shape and secondly this recipe uses melted milk (Try my own Gulab Jamun with pure ghee recipe).
1. 3 cups sugar
2. 6 cups water
3. 1 tbsp. cardamom powder
4. 2 tbsps. Rose water
5. 3 cups powdered milk
6. 1 and a 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
7. 1 and a 1/2 tsp baking powder,
8. 1 cup heavy cream,
9. 1 cup Milkio cultured organic ghee for deep frying
- Mix the water and sugar in a deep pan and boil till all the sugar is dissolved. Turn off the flame and add the cardamom powder and rose water.
- Mix well and keep aside. Mix the powdered milk, all-purpose flour and baking powder well.
- Add a little of the thickened cream at a time to them and mold to make a dough that is medium soft but not sticky.
- Kept the rest of the cream aside.
- Just add a little at a time until you reach the consistency of dough you are after.
The success of this dessert depends almost entirely on how well you mold the dough. Once the dough is ready, divide it into walnut sized balls and roll between slightly greased palms till smooth. Any cracks will show up even more lately and could lead to the ‘milk balls’ cracking as they are being fried… not desirable!
- Take all the time you need over this step to get it right.
- While making the balls, heat the Milkio grass fed ghee for deep frying in a wide pan on a low to medium flame. Fry the dumplings, stirring often to brown on all sides.
- Do not cook on very high heat as the dumplings will burn on the outside and remain raw inside!
- When cooked, drain (with a slotted spoon), remove the dumplings from the Milkio ghee and transfer it immediately into the sugar syrup.
- Repeat above steps until all the dumplings are cooked and added to the syrup.
- Allow the dumplings to soak in the syrup for at least 2 hours before serving.
- At this point they can either be removed from the syrup and served or served with the syrup.
Reference Links :
Two different types of modaks “ghee” to add to your Ganesh Chaturthi celebrations
Food (read: modaks and ladoos) is synonymous with Ganesh Chaturthi. The Hindu festival is celebrated over a period of 10 days to honour Lord Ganesha’s birthday.
But if you’re away from home and missing the delectable desserts from your favourite sweet shop, or you just want to skip market-bought items and want to opt for fresh homemade desserts, you should bookmark these easy-to-make recipes.
The Executive Chef at Radisson Blu Atria Bengaluru, Kasiviswanathan’s secrets to making the perfect modak will leave an impression.
Rice flour: 100 gm
Water: 250 gm
Salt: 20 gm
Mustard seeds: 10 gm
Jeera seeds: 5 gm
Ghee: 25 ml
Green chilly: 10 gm
Curry leaves: 5 gm
Coriander: 5 gm
Ginger: 5 gm
Grated coconut: 10 gm
– In a heavy bottom pan, make a tempering with ghee, mustard seeds, jeera seeds, curry leaves, ginger, coriander leaves, and coconut.
– Sauté till it turns golden brown, then add water and bring to boil.
– Add in rice flour and mix thoroughly.
– Make dumplings from the batter.
– Steam it in a steamer for at least 10 minutes
– Assemble together and serve.
Source : economictimes